Originally posted on HelloGiggles! You know when you see someone and you can instantly tell you’d be friends? It’s rare but exciting to feel an instant friendship connection! That’s exactly what happened when I shot a commercial with poised and … Continue reading
This week’s coffee table guest might sound familiar as I’ve raved about her superfood powders in a previous HelloGiggles item of the day post. A wife, mother, and business owner, this lady is balancing it all. Please give a healthy hello to Los … Continue reading
On this fine day in December, I’d like to introduce a Los Angeles lady whose talents are as long as her hair! Ladies and Gentleman, personal assistant to hilarious actress Mindy Kaling, writer, actor, amateur wine taster, and music connoisseur:
We just wrapped production and are about to start editing the last four episodes of my web series, Tangents & The Times. I’m not one to usually be too boastful about my projects, but I genuinely believe it’s some of the best work I’ve ever done and I am beyond excited about it. Other than that, I’m just working on scripts and spending too much time on my too many Tumblrs.
It would have to be iced coffee with a touch of almond milk. Drinking good iced coffee makes me feel a thousand times smarter and more productive than anything else outside of the black market.
It’s the Little Things
Outside the obvious, like my loved ones and laughing until I cry, I would have to say:
- The smell of wet grass
- Palm Springs’ Alexander Homes
- Cheese samples at Whole Foods
My Coffee Table
My coffee table is always covered in hardbacks of my pool photography & my boyfriend’s graphic design books, stacks of artsy surf magazines, random editions of Sunset and Travel & Leisure, notebooks, and random scripts of mine. My boyfriend and I made homemade coasters; it’s neat because they’ve sort of documented our artistic inspirations over the years and a so-cute-it’s-almost-lame way to get crafty with him. The ones pictured are mine though. His are all of skaters and Native American art and I mean, who cares this is about meeeee!
My boyfriend and I bought our coffee table when we first moved in together, and it’s always felt a little out of place. But whatever, it’s covered in weed dust ninety percent of the time anyway and has a thousand water marks from the many sleepovers we’ve hosted with bands coming through Echo Park. You’d think with all our adorable coasters we wouldn’t have a problem, but people get to drinking and don’t think about coasters. Yet. One day we’ll grow up and everyone will be super into coasters.
Words of Wisdom
My personal mantra is, “Know the destination and life will present the path.” …Most people think that it’s too new agey, so my back up is usually something along the lines of, “No one is going to believe in you if you don’t believe in yourself.”
Both have the same general sentiment–believe in yourself and believe in what you do.
Oh, one more for the road: “Don’t take yourself seriously, take what you do seriously.”
*Originally posted on HelloGiggles *
ITEM OF THE DAY: THE LIBRARY COLLECTION BY PADDYWAX CANDLES
Candles, books and inspiring quotes. These are a few of my favorite things.
Blend them all together and you get: The Library Collection by Paddywax Candles.
Packaged in book cloth covered boxes, the wonderfully scented candles are made out of soy wax (which burns cleaner than regular paraffin candles), hand poured and made in the USA. In my book, candles and reading arealways in style.
Leo Tolstoy: Black Plum, Persimmon, & Oakmoss ”All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.”
Jane Austen: Gardenia, Tuberose, & Jasmine “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.”
Emily Dickinson: Lavender & Cassis “Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.”
Oscar Wilde: Cedarwood, Thyme, & Basil ”Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a lack of imagination.”
Charles Dickens: Tangerine, Juniper, & Clove ”I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all year.”
Edgar Allan Poe: Cardamom, Absinthe, & Sandalwood ”All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.”
Mark Twain: Tobacco Flower & Vanilla “Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
with literary love,
ITEM OF THE DAY: PHILOSOPHIE SUPERFOOD POWDERS
( Recently posted on HelloGiggles )
Here at YFB, we love a great blend. These delicious, organic, vegan blend of superfood powders are something I feel guilty keeping all to myself!
Bullet Points about the Blends:
- Sophie Jaffe, certified Raw Food Nutritionist and Raw Food Chef, created her Philosophie superfood powders out of the necessity for a convenient and healthy way to get an anti-oxident packed superfood fix.
- The recipe on the back of the package- YUM. Sophie provides other recipies on her site, but after months of using her powders, I have yet to get tired of the classic smoothie recipe. Below are the powders’ ingredients- some might sound foreign, but trust the classic recipe which results in a creamy coconutty vanilla flavor (or chocolately for the cacao magic).
- Cacao Magic includes Chinese medicinal mushrooms- reishi, cordyceps, chaga, maca, cacao powder & nibs, chia seeds, tocos and fresh vanilla.
- Green Dream includes spirulina, fresh vanilla pod, raw vegan sprouted protein powder (hemp), maca (balances mood, high in iron and protein), tocos (vit.E), chia seeds, mesquite and chlorella.
- The smoothies fill me up and leave a natural energy boost- they’re my favorite mid-morning/day snack that I whip up in my magic bullet (On a budget, the contents of the smoothie are more important to me than the blender).
So there you have it. Easy to make and so gosh darn good for you; it’s a win-win situation.
We may not have degrees in philosophy, but we’ve experienced enough of life to recognize a true soul friend; a kindred spirit, a partner in crime. Together we learned through painful times to recognize and appreciate the joyful ones, resulting in our own personal philosophy. This year, 2012, we put our philosophy into action, the philosophy better known as–20dozen. Without further ado…
The 3 Principles of 20dozen:
1. Be yourself. Yes, you’ve heard this before and might think, “I don’t even know who I am!” but no one can bring to the table what you have been through and what makes you tick and talk. Be affected, be expressive; this is being yourself.
2. Live in this very moment. Everything you do now will influence and affect your future- in a good way. We spend too much time over-analyzing relationships, jobs, and regrets when all these little dots invisibly connect and lead us to where we are right now. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “We are always getting ready to live, but never living”. Don’t worry about the outcome, take the risk–20dozen it!
3. It’s the little things. Every interaction carries the potential for a connection or acquiring knowledge. We enjoy the 3 H’s: handwritten notes, high-fives, and hugs. If you want a visual example of these principles, check out Woody Allen’sMidnight in Paris and Elgin James’ Little Birds. Two very different films with the same 20dozen mentality.
Try to leave a little 20dozen dust wherever you go and fill us in on your journey!
Your soul friends,
K and A
hellogiggles: ITEM OF THE DAY: ITEM OF THE DAY by Rachael Berkey